Malunggay: The Lowly and Nutritious
“Did you know that one cup of cooked malunggay leaves, the poor man’s vegetables, equals the nutrition content of two eggs and one glass of milk.”
Scientific research confirms that these humble leaves are a powerhouse of nutritional value. Gram for gram, moringa leaves contain: SEVEN times the vitamin C in oranges, FOUR times the Calcium in milk, FOUR times the vitamin A in carrots, TWO times the protein in milk and THREE times the Potassium in bananas.
There are many benefits of the moringa tree, but the health benefits are the most important. Research has shown that various parts of the moringa tree can be effective in a significant number of health concerns.
Here’s a quick look at a few of them:
· Moringa is rich in Vitamin A. It contains four times more Vitamin A or beta-carotene than carrots. Hence, it is a weapon against blindness.
· It is also a rich source of Vitamin C many times more than oranges.
· Normally milk is said to be a rich source of calcium but the amount of calcium present in moringa leaves is way higher than in milk.
· The moringa leaves are said to contain two times the protein present in milk.
· Bananas are a rich source of potassium. But moringa leaves contain several times more potassium than bananas.
· If moringa leaves were to be eaten by one and all, the world will be free of anemia as it contains three times more iron than spinach.
· With all the junk food eaten these days, many people face problems of high cholesterol. Moringa helps in balancing the cholesterol levels in the body.
· Moringa is also said to balance sugar levels, hence it is helpful in the fight against diabetes.
· The body's natural defense mechanism increases with the consumption of moringa in the daily diet pattern. Since it is an immunity-stimulant, it is prescribed for AIDS afflicted patients.
· Moringa leaves can be consumed to stimulate metabolism.
Here are the nutrients found in these vegetables:
1. Calcium- needed for strong teeth
3. Phosphorus4.Horse- Iodine- Iron compound not found in other vegetables, it strengthens red blood cells and prevents anemia.